Member Accolades

National Boards - German?
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

4/29/2014 at 3:52:43 PM GMT
National Boards - German?

At the general meeting of ACTFL in Orlando, we heard they were going to start including languages beyond Spanish and French beginning in 2015.

This morning I called the National Board office. The customer service representative had no indication that German would be offered back. She said that she knows what is ahead for the next three years, and that according to the plan German will not be included for these next three years.

She justified the lack of German inclusion due to the lack of demand. She said that they receive less than five inquiries per year about German. I argued that since we all know that German is not eligible, we aren't calling to sign up for a test that doesn't exist.

She suggested that we send faxes to National Board Certification Management at 1-888-811-3514. She claimed that management would need hundreds of candidates involved for it to be worth their time. Let’s rally and convince them to add German!

Please reply if you have any further information about the status of German and National Boards. Thanks!

Jan Marie Steele
German Teacher
Pleasant Hill Middle School
(803) 821-2767
jmsteele@lexington1.net

4/30/2014 at 12:26:43 PM GMT
Yesterday my colleague Rebecca Cornett wrote to Toni Thiesen to confirm the information that was shared at ACTFL. This is the response she received:

Date: April 29, 2014 at 2:45:25 PM EDT
To: Rebecca A Cornett
Subject: Re: Your speech at ACTFL 2013

Good afternoon,

NBPTS is revamping their whole program for all content. We are part of this. We have been working with them they have stated they want more languages. There are lots of changes. We will keep you posted as more is known. The intent was to make it available in many languages.

I guarantee the NBPTS is working on it.

That is all I know.

Take care,

tt

5/9/2014 at 3:26:42 PM GMT
Thanks for posting this. I've been curious about this as well. We can work within our chapters to promote National Boards for German teachers.

Sign In

Latest News

Advocacy Hub